There is a good chance that you’re going to leave your firewood sitting out in the rain. This can lead to problems with the most notable being mold. Many people do not realize it but firewood can indeed develop mold. However, this might not be a major problem. You might be able to burn the wood safely.
Mold on firewood? The main problem is moisture. If the wood is able to collect enough moisture, it is going to develop mold. If you’re able to control and minimize the moisture, you’ll be able to put a stop to the mold. With this in mind, you should make sure that the firewood is stored in the correct location. Make sure that it is stored so you do not have to worry about the mold becoming too much.
This will help prevent problems and ensure you do not have to deal with mold in the future. No matter where you’ve stored the wood, there is a possibility that it is going to develop mold.
Therefore, you have to be aggressive about minimizing the moisture in the storage area. You’ll find out how to prevent mold from developing on your firewood below.
Can You Use Moldy Firewood
Believe it or not, you can use moldy firewood without any problems. However, not everyone should consider using firewood that has developed mold. Doing so could create major health problems.
You might be allergic to mold. If you are, you should stay away from moldy firewood. It is only going to make problems worse in the future. With that being said, you can use moldy firewood but you shouldn’t if you have a sensitivity to mold or asthma.
You need to be very cautious when using the wood too. Make sure that you’re careful not to release the mold spores into the atmosphere. Take your time and place the wood into the fireplace efficiently to avoid problems.
Preventing Mold Growth On Firewood
At the end of the day, you should realize that moisture is your primary problem. If the wood experiences too much moisture, you can guarantee that it is going to develop problems.
This is true whether you’re storing the wood inside or outside. With this in mind, you need to find out how to control the moisture. First and foremost, you should make sure that the wood is able to dry thoroughly. Simultaneously, you need to protect the firewood from the elements.
If you’re storing the wood outside, you need to make sure that it is going to be covered. When it rains outside, the wood should be able to avoid it. If you’re going to be storing the wood inside, you should be very cautious. Many people will store the wood in their basement.
If it develops mold, you’ll want to remove it from your home right away. Simultaneously, you should think about using a dehumidifier. This will take the moisture out of the atmosphere and help you avoid mold.
You need to be cautious from the get-go. Otherwise, you’re going to find yourself in a bad situation with little way out.
[Related Article: How To Dry Wet Firewood]
Who Should Use Moldy Firewood
While it is safe for some people to use moldy firewood, some should avoid doing so. Some people are allergic to mold. Therefore, being around it is going to cause major issues. You have to be very careful when getting close to mold. If you have asthma or you’re allergic to mold, it is best to get rid of the moldy firewood. Do not use it.
If you’re perfectly healthy and you can tolerate it, you can burn the firewood without any issues. However, people who have severe allergies should avoid doing so. This could create problems and lead to major issues in the future.
Be cautious and make sure that you avoid using moldy firewood if you have asthma or you’re allergic to it.
What To Do With Moldy Firewood
At the end of the day, moldy firewood can be very problematic. You should be worried that the mold is going to cause health problems for yourself and your family. You need to make sure that the mold is kept away from your loved ones.
Otherwise, it could lead to problems. So, what should you do with moldy firewood? Well, you have the option of burning it. Moldy firewood will burn and it can still heat your home exceptionally well. However, it might not be worth the risk. If you feel this way, you should not burn it.
So, what can you do with the wood? Well, your options are plentiful. You could try splitting the wood and getting rid of the portion that contains the mold. If you’re going to do this, you should wear suitable clothing.
Make sure that you’re protected to the fullest. You’ll also want to consider giving the wood to someone else. If you’re not going to burn it, you should think about letting someone else do so.
This is a good way to get rid of the wood. You might be able to sell it to someone at a discounted price too.
Ultimately, mold is caused by too much moisture. If you keep your firewood in the wrong area or store it incorrectly, there is a good chance that you’re going to experience a mold problem. However, you might be able to use the firewood. If you have a sensitivity to mold, you should avoid doing so.
Those with asthma should not burn moldy firewood either. However, those who have no other options can indeed use moldy firewood to heat their homes. Make sure that you place it directly in the fireplace to avoid problems. Of course, it is best to prevent mold from developing in the beginning.