Will A Chimney Fire Burn Itself Out [Answered&More]

Will A Chimney Fire Burn Itself Out [Answered&More]

Will A Chimney Fire Burn Itself Out

It is entirely possible for a chimney fire to burn itself out, but it can take an immense amount of time. Of course, this will depend on the size of the original fire and the fuel that is being used. This is why it is best to either put the fire out before leaving the home or closing off the hearth so debris can’t escape.

Summer is just right around the corner, but there is still plenty of cold weather to battle through. Now is not the time to take that spare firewood back out to the shed. Whether you are an avid fire builder or you just purchased a home with a first place there is a good chance that you are always discovering something new.

Fireplaces might be considered one of the oldest means of heat, but there is always something interesting to learn about them. Different types of wood burn at different rates produce higher levels of BTUs, and some firewood even produces different smells.

This probably brings you to the inevitable question of will a chimney burn itself out? It is safe to leave the fireplace burning before you head to work? Will the fire eventually go out? These are all normal questions and will be addressed throughout this article.

[Checkout Fireplace Smells In The Summer]

Learning To Spot A Chimney Fire

The best possible way to prevent chimney fires is by learning to spot when they might take place. They are fairly easy to spot due to their explosively burning properties. Chimney fires that are about to get out of hand will be noisy. You will probably also notice cracking and popping noises in conjunction with dense amounts of smoke.

What Causes A Chimney Fire

At the end of the day, you need several things for a fire to effectively burn. You need a burning material, fuel, and air. You remove one of these things and you are going to alter the combustion process. When combustion takes place it creates a number of unburned carbon particles, water vapor, gases, hydrocarbons, tar fog, and minerals.

Of course, all of these substances travel upwards as they exit the chimney. When they reach the top part of the chimney where the temperatures are cooler condensation will occur. When this happens it will create a residue that is known as creosote. Creosote can stick to the walls of the chimney and thrive there for a number of years or until removed.

This is a highly combustible substance so you can imagine when a lot of it accumulates on the walls of the chimney, you are looking at a potentially volatile situation. Chimneys that burn too hot not only could cause structural damage to the chimney, but they can cause damage to nearby objects and walls.

Extinguishing Chimney Fires

No one wants to climb on top of their chimney in the middle of winter and clean out this creosote. This might be something that you can do during the summer, but during the winter it would just be too dangerous.

This is why you should take advantage of the extinguishing products that are available for ground level use. There are a number of these products available and they can help you make sure that your chimney fire is extinguished before you leave the home.

These chimney fire extinguisher can be a lifesaver, they last 3 years. All you have to do is “strike them” and place in the chimney and will suffocate the chimney fire. You can check them out on Amazon here, Chimney Fire Extinguisher.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shares